The Top 25 Greatest Slow Dance Songs???

Rolling Stone magazine has issued the top 25 greatest slow dance songs ever.

I think they botched it, but then what do I know. I’m older than dirt (but I look snazzy in a hat.) You do a trade-off when you get older.

No. 1. is “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith.

Huh.

Ginger will be glad to know that the Bee Gees made #17 with “How Deep Is You Love.” Ahh, memories of junior high and “Saturday Night Fever” when all the girls swooned over an unintelligible John Travolta. Hell, I loved that movie too.

I don’t know about this, but I do know that if I ever hear the song “Lady in Red” by Chris de Burgh I will truly become violent.

But then again, I haven’t been to prom in a very, very long time. And I guess listening to a song from the movie “Armageddon” just throws 16 year-olds into a tizzy.

0 comments for “The Top 25 Greatest Slow Dance Songs???

1. Elizabeth
    June 20, 2007 at 6:58 am

Blargh. I hate that song. Granted, it was Aerosmith’s only No. 1 hit.
    My class wet their panties over Celine Dion’s Titanic song. Except me. I didn’t wet my panties. I just pulled a scene from the movie “Carrie.”

But you know, Celine Dion made it somewhere on that list.

Oh, and as for John Travolta. My favorite by him is “Urban Cowboy.”

2. June 20, 2007 at 7:40 am

Squee!!!!! 😉

“How Deep Is Your Love” is, in my opinion, the most beautiful pop love song ever. I mean, just close your eyes and listen to the whole thing…the string arrangement, the harmonies, the melody, the lyrics…Barry’s voice…

(sigh)

3. June 20, 2007 at 9:23 am

“I don’t know. I think some of the best dance songs are John Coltrane or Charley Parker, when you have someone’s hand stuck in your hair, tugging just a little bit and swaying ever so slightly to the music. Lips slightly apart, waiting for a lovely soft kiss.”

‘Coma, honey, put the horror novel down for a few and write us a hot romance novel! Damn … that is just SEXY!

4. June 20, 2007 at 11:06 am

i am definitely digging the description of hand in hair, etc…*shivers* it makes me h…appy. but then again, everything is making me h…appy these days. ha!

i like the aerosmith song alright. i don’t think it should have made number one…i’m definitely an Aerosmith fan, but that’s far from my fave.

personally, i was surprised to see that Garth Brooks’ “The Dance” didn’t make the cut. i’m not hugely into country, but i do love that song. makes me get a little teary-eyed every time i hear it. shh…don’t tell anyone. heh

5. Ron
    June 20, 2007 at 3:19 pm

How in the hell did “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton not make it?!

6. June 20, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Moonlight Serenade by Glen Miller. It’s not even close.

But, it’s a rock article, so where is “Sleepwalk” by Santo and Johnny?

Pah.

7. June 20, 2007 at 3:39 pm

I’m sort of smitten with “Moondance” by Van Morrison. And Ron, “Wonderful Tonight” is awesome.
    You are so right, Hollywood.

8. June 20, 2007 at 4:00 pm

I realize this shows my age, but any list of this kind without the 5 Satins, ‘in the still of the night’ is totally remiss.

Get Aerosmith outta there. Coltrane on ‘My Favorite Things’ and Moondance by Morrisson belong belong belong.

9. deb
    June 20, 2007 at 4:26 pm

I can’t believe Percy Sledge’s “When A Man Loves A Woman” didn’t make the cut.

Gotta go with Hutchmo with “In the Still of the Night”…that’s a great song.

10. Ron
    June 20, 2007 at 4:38 pm

I think our list is much better than Rolling Stone’s list. I mean Pavement?! Come on.

11. June 20, 2007 at 7:56 pm

Yup, our list is much better.

12. June 20, 2007 at 9:06 pm

sarasue,
    Hee.
    Maybe that is in my horror novels 😉
    This is a fun thread.
    Smooches to you guys.

13. June 21, 2007 at 9:35 am

Maybe that is in my horror novels.

Oooh. Smooching and THEN …

whickerwhickerwhickerSLASH.

Shudder.

You are one bad mammajamma.

You knew that.

14. Ron
    June 22, 2007 at 12:02 am

Everyone knows that making out in horror movies/books always leads to death. Always. As part of my senior thesis on horror films, I read a book on the slasher cycle that postulated that the slasher killer served as instant punishment for flouting traditional morals.

15. Trish
    May 27, 2008 at 2:03 am

I agree with Ron, why on earth did “Wonderful Tonight” NOT make it???
    In my opinion it’s one of the best slow dance songs.