Cat Head Biscuits

I have spoken of Mr. Jimmy before. A curmudgeon in his late 70s with the sweetest smile, cusses better than anyone I’ve ever met (except maybe TheoGeo), wears a Fedora each and every time I see him and, on occasion, is my partner in crime.

I swear I had this conversation with him yesterday.

zombie_cat_t

Mr. Jimmy: (walking up to me in a huff.) Are you with me? I’m fixing to raise holy hell.

Me: (thinking, what am I getting into here and wondering why Mr. Jimmy is so hacked off?) Umm, sure.

Mr. Jimmy: I’m going after some people.

Much snarling and gnashing teeth from Mr. Jimmy.

Me: (thinking, isn’t everyone these days?) Alright, what happened?

Mr. Jimmy: Here’s the story, I got my magazine subscription of Garden and Guns today.

Me: (blankly wondering if I should get Rex Hammock to verify that there actually is a Garden and Guns magazine about Southern living. I didn’t know. My google-fu verified that there is this morning.) All right. What’s on your mind Mr. Jimmy?

Mr. Jimmy: Damned Texans.* Wanting to be southern. They aren’t SOUTHERN and they never will be! They can’t even make Cat Head Biscuits right. I read in the magazine they put cake flour in Cat Head Biscuits. It’s wrong and I’m not taking it lying down!

Me: (Going through my memory banks trying to remember what a cat head biscuit actually is as I don’t know even how to make regular refrigerated biscuits in a tube. Also seeing some southern cooking pride going on that would rival a nuclear meltdown.) Umm, well that’s just terrible.

Mr. Jimmy: SONS OF BITCHES!

Me: (tickled but keeping a straight face) That’s just horrible. Cake flour? What are those Texans* thinking?

Mr. Jimmy: And they put cream in sawmill gravy? Who the hell puts cream in sawmill gravy? You use lard or bacon drippings. You don’t use f***ing cream.

Now for the part of the story where I tell you that Mr. Jimmy has been a cook in his day and has also done his craft in New Orleans.

Or so I’ve heard.

Me: (Diffuse, diffuse, diffuse was the mantra of the moment in my cranium.) Well, what do you want to do? How can I help?

Mr. Jimmy: I’m going to bring some paper and a pen and we are writing a letter about those damned Cat Head Biscuits to Garden and Guns.

Me: Texans* aren’t so bad, Mr. Jimmy. It’s, you know, they just do it different.

Mr. Jimmy: THEY SERVE THIS CRAP IN RESTAURANTS! WHAT’S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?

Me: (realizing I had lost my battle for Cat Head Biscuits and regional tolerance.) Alright, we will write a letter.

Mr. Jimmy: I have to get a damned stamp.

Me: (Smiling, honestly trying not to crack up.) I’ll get your stamp. That’s my contribution and I’ll help you write your letter.

Mr. Jimmy: (calming down to a degree) Good. Damned Texans* don’t know how to make Cat Head Biscuits.

And then he walked off swearing and mumbling under his breath leaving me alone pondering how someone could get so mad over Cat Head Biscuits and cream in Sawmill Gravy.

Mr. Jimmy makes life better. And he’s quite spiffy actually.

* The sentiments regarding Texans are the sole property of Mr. Jimmy and do not reflect the opinions of the management and administration of this blog. I like Texans just fine.

14 comments for “Cat Head Biscuits

1. February 6, 2009 at 9:02 am

this exchange belongs in a movie script.

2. February 6, 2009 at 9:24 am

Given the gravity of these crimes, I wonder why we ever brought Texas back into the union after the war when we could have given it back to Mexico. After all, think of what it would have saved us – no Kennedy visit to Dallas, no Johnson’s VietNam War, no Bush presidency. Those texicans never have been right in the head. Cream in sawmill gravy!! Hell, they even barbecue beef instead of pork, for God’s sake.

3. February 6, 2009 at 9:26 am

Oh, and my in-laws gave me a Garden & Gun subscription for Christmas.

4. saraclark
    February 6, 2009 at 9:28 am

Mr. Jimmy is my hero and he’s right!

Garden and Guns rules as a magazine and it has beautiful pictures. Really it is quite awesome.

There is no cake flour in a cat head biscuit and there most certainly must be lard involved for flavor. The biscuit should be the finished approximate size and shape of a cat’s head and roundish irregular in shape Damn straight.

There is also no cream in white or sawmill gravy. Using cream creates a bechamel base instead of a country style white gravy.

Shake the man’s hand and send his letter, he’s right.

5. February 6, 2009 at 1:18 pm

‘Coma, this is the best story I’ve read in ages. And Saraclark is right. Send his letter for him!

6. February 6, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I was a witness to this conversation. It happened pretty much as Newscoma typed it. Well, maybe there was a bit more cussing and Texas bashing.

7. February 6, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Watch it with that Texan bashin’ business. 😛

8. February 6, 2009 at 4:14 pm

But the cussin’ is just dandy.

9. February 6, 2009 at 6:12 pm

I think I’m in love with Mr. Jimmy.

10. newscoma
    February 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Guys, I know I love me some Mr. Jimmy. He’s a rock star.

11. Yeye
    February 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Now is Mr. Jimmy talkin about white folks or black folks? I’m a black Texan, and I’ll tell you right now that we do not put cake flour in our cathead biscuits…

12. newscoma
    February 17, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Yeye,
    I think he’s just talking about Texans in general.
    And, this is what he’s talking about: http://gardenandgun.com/article/feelin-gravy

Comments are closed.