Annoying Autobiographical Pause : Seeking The GoodNovember 26, 2013 - Author: newscoma
As we head into the Thanksgiving holiday and the eventual non-existent war on Christmas, I have been thinking about a few things. Mainly that we have a lot more shit to worry about than fighting over holiday media missives which are basically weapons of mass distraction.
I don’t know but I’m rather tired of the negative. In the last few months, I’ve had to adjust my thinking that outrage for the sake of being outraged is not something I really want to be apart of. And I’ll be damned if I haven’t become a hell of a lot happier.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can tell you what has worked for me.
1. Leaving my comfort zone has been a good thing for me. I have some habits (good or bad) that I still embrace but I realized that one thing I needed to do was become hungry for positive. I like snow flakes, dogs make me happy and people that smile easily. It’s hard to be excessively angry all the time. Life is going to occasionally give you a shit casserole that you are completely powerless of avoiding and you’re just going to have accept. Might as well just swim through it because their is going to be some tasty brie on the other side of the river. French cheese heals all that ails you.
2. I have learned that it is okay to be pissed off. It is not okay to let that be an anchor. If you want to punch the air, take two seconds and go watch Kid President, who is from Tennessee. Taking his advice, I’m trying desperately how to learn the Ray Lewis Squirrel Dance. It’s angry enough to release a lot of aggression. Find some grass and slam it against your chest. Trust me, just go ahead and do it.
3. Avoiding the news on the weekend has helped me immensely. Binge watching British television is extremely therapeutic.
4. If you think the country is going to hell in a hand basket covered in bees, what can you do to help in small meaningful ways? Listening to a friend or a stranger without judgement can be a small gesture and it helps me. I want that, so why can’t I give it? Oh, but you see, I can do that. Problem solved campers. I want this country to quit being crazy too yet I’m learning the value of the small. Bees are tiny but pollinate the planet. See what I did there.
5. I’ve been trying to do what I think is right not only for me but for other people. If I’m wrong, that’s okay too. All I got is a cup of try and if the tea in the mug tastes like it came from a grub garden, the best I can do is make another cuppa.
6. I learned that there is a difference between being a 24/7 critic of everything. Yes, I will judge folks bad behavior and I own it. Yet have you ever noticed the pretty smile of the woman that sells you a six-pack and a pack of smokes? Those things are important and I’ve learned that saying Thank You to other people makes me feel better about myself.
7. On a last note, as I get older and my brain doesn’t work as well as it used to I have created an exercise for myself. I don’t have a photographic memory, but I do try to take note of intimate things that make my friends and family happy. It works for me.
8. Finally, if we need to look at things that are absurd that we cannot look away from, let me leave you with the fact that Mike Huckabee wants to move DC to Nashville because of George Jones. Yes. This happened. It is kind of like Balloon Boy, which we should never forget.
Comments are closed - Categories: Tennessee